Thursday, April 10, 2008

Taking a Break

    My father, Clyde Parrott, came down today and we went off on an adventure together. This is something we don't usually have time for but I am glad we had the opportunity. Being off work after my surgery has its perks.
    Dad and I have been talking for quite a while about visiting the site of a Lockheed Electra crash that occurred in 1960 near Cannelton, Indiana. We left my house about 10:00 this morning and following the guidance of my GPS unit we went through Kentucky and across the bridge in Cannelton back into Indiana. We came back through Indiana and I have got to say that the trip through Kentucky was faster.
    We visited Tell City first and had lunch at Vivian's. It was excellent! Vivian was very nice and even had us try her home made slaw (the best slaw I have ever eaten!) before giving us each a hug and thanking us for stopping by. I had a burger which was enormous and Dad had a grilled pork tenderloin sandwich. We both tried the red beans and rice soup which was exceptionally good, with smoked sausage and tomatoes and just the right blend of spices. Wow, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Thanks for a great time and a magnificent lunch Vivian!
    We did make it to the Electra crash site. It was very sobering and a sad spot. There is a monument at the site with the names of the people killed in the crash. We notices many names that were the same, even what appeared to be a family of four. The flight was from Chicago to Miami so I can imagine a family taking off on a vacation in Florida and never getting there. At the site, in front of the memorial, there is a sidewalk that makes a large circle, after reading about the memorial I found that the circle surrounds the actual crater made by the plane. The Electra had a problem with vibration which caused the crash after the plane basically shook itself to pieces in mid-air.
    Even though we visited such a sad place, we had a good time. We don't get the chance to talk all that much and it was really nice to just spend time together and gab. When we got back to Corydon we went to Butt Drugs and had a chocolate soda at the soda fountain. I think Dad enjoyed the soda fountain, there are not that many of them left and Butt's has the best around in my opinion.
    As for me and my recovery, I am doing great. I still have some pains every once in a while that I feel is simply because I have not been going as much physically as I normally do. I get a bit better every day and I will be back to normal soon.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

cmpbtam said...

Jeff,
I know you are currently taking another break and doing fine at this time. I know that Kim is keeping you out of trouble. Have a great week. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Tammy