Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Newest Update

    I visited my cardiologist today and I am doing fine. He is concerned about my right leg still being so swollen, so he told me to double up on my Lasix and Potassium and keep a close eye on it. The leg has been swollen ever since the by-pass operation but gets much bigger when I am up walking around a lot. I think most of it is just that the major vein returning blood from my leg is now missing and the blood needs to find another way back up. I wear a compression stocking usually, but not always. I didn't wear it today because I wanted him to see it. The thing he is worried about is that I also have some swelling in my groin where the cardiac catheters were inserted and that swelling could be keeping the blood from flowing as well as it should. We are keeping an eye on things and I think I will be just fine. I sure do feel good!
    Another thing the doctor wants to keep an eye on is a patch of discolored skin on my back. I noticed it a few days ago and had Kim look at it but we had no idea what it was. It is an area about 6 inches across that is darker than the surrounding skin. Dr. Filardo saw it today and feels that it may be a radiation burn from all of the x-rays pumped through that area over a four day period. I had a CT scan, two cardiac catheterizations and several chest x-rays, so I am sure there was enough radiation bouncing around in there to cook a Cornish Hen. I have not done any real research into radiation burns so I have no idea what the problems could be from it, I'll be checking up on it.
    I also had an appointment with my surgeon last Friday, the one that did the by-pass. He was already in surgery when I got there so I spoke to the Nurse Practitioner instead. She said I looked good and there are no problems at all evident.
    My sister Tracy made me a new t-shirt and gave it to me yesterday. She hand painted a human heart on the shirt and then placed PVC pipes and little springs in place to show where my by-passes and stents are located. It is really great! I wore it to the doctor's office today and everyone there loved it. I'll post a photo tomorrow so everyone can see it, it is really nice and I love it. Thanks Tea Cup!
   
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: