Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Welcome - The story thus far

    I am beginning this blog following a very important event in my life. On March 3rd of 2008 I had a triple bypass operation to repair blocked arteries of my heart.
    I have had heart problems for quite a few years. I had my first heart attack when I was 38 years old and another five years later. Both of the attacks were followed up with angioplasty and the insertion of stents to hold the arteries open. They worked for the most part, but I am stubborn and didn't take good care of myself or the stents.
    I began having some chest pains in late 2007, but I didn't think much of them. I only realize what was going on in retrospect since the pain was never very bad at all. By February of 2008 I was well aware of what was happening and made an appointment with a cardiologist to get checked out.
    I went to see my new cardiologist on February 29th, (Leap Day) and explained what had been going on. My doctor listened to me and asked pertinent questions. He is a very good doctor. He then told me that based on what I was telling him and on the results of an EKG that he could not allow me to leave and that he was scheduling me for a cardiac catheter that evening so we could check it all out. It turned out that I had a 97% blockage in two places and a 99% blockage in another. The worst blockage was at a stent which had plugged up pretty good over time.
    After consulting with a surgeon and talking with me about the possibilities, we all decided that open heart surgery was the best option. So at the age of 46 I went in for the operation.
15 days later and I am feeling pretty well. I can walk to the mailbox (about 100 yards) with no problem. I am getting a bit better every day.
    I plan for this blog to be about the early detection of heart problems and suggestions for everyone about things they can do to head off the possible outcome of lifestyle and genetic problems. I am not a doctor but I have learned quite a bit over the years (most of which I have chosen to ignore until now) and if I can help even one other person then I plan on doing so.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jeff,
Wouldn't want to go through what you've been through. I think the saying "That which does not kill you can only make you stronger" might not necessarily apply here, at least not in the physical sense. It's good that you're writing about it and helping others perhaps learn through your own experiences or at least be more aware of what is happening to them. I will say, by way of comment, since I'm your cousin and all, that when you throw in tidbits about the guy throwing his smokes in the pot belly and the pack of cigs off on the highway somewhere, etc., that your writing picks up and grabs a little humanity into the mix. It makes for more interesting reading. I realize you're basically trying to tell people right now something, but keep up on the person ad hocs and such, mix 'em in with the recipe as you go along, it works for you. The story about the airplane crash - I hadn't even heard of that. What more can you tell me about it that made it such big news? I sent your dad a site that showed (you've probably already seen it) what I think was a 707 attempting to land in massive wind shears. If I would have been on that plane, there would have been some jeans in need of washing! I'm sure you can still find it. Just type in Windy Landing or something like that. Pretty amazing stuff. Keep up this thing you're doing. Remind me how to start one 'cause the 'cuzzin done forgot! Mark