Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Genetics and the heart

    Every time I have talked to a doctor about my heart , they have always asked about family history of heart disease. That should give us all a clue that genetics is one of the main things that governs heart trouble.
    In my case there was a lot of cause to worry. My grandfather had two heart attacks, before the doctors really knew what to do about them. He was in the hospital for a while, then told to go home and get exercise every chance he got. Over the years his heart got worse and finally he had a by-pass surgery that lasted him the rest of his life. My father also had some trouble, never a heart attack, but it was a close call. He went to see his cardiologist who recommended angioplasty and stent placement. All went well and he is just fine.
    My sister, three years older than me, had a heart attack at the age of 47 and had some stents inserted. She is also doing very well. Then there is me. I had heart attacks and stent placements, then I had to have the by-pass operation.
    Anyone looking at this short history can see that there are forces at work within the family. There has got to be a genetic link that makes us all susceptible to heart disease and blockage of arteries.
    So what about you? Did either parent have heart problems? Grandparents pass on problems as well and we should all take family history of heart disease very seriously. Make sure your children know about your history so they can guard against future problems.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: