Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Surgery side effects

    I have been reading quite a bit about the procedures for open heart surgery and bypass surgery and I am really amazed that there is so little information on the things that you can run into following the surgery. For example, if the surgeon uses the mammary artery in your chest as one of the bypass grafts (which is a great idea, it's already there and already hooked to your aorta) there will be a pretty large numb spot on your chest. The area on my chest that has no feeling at all is sort of circle shaped and about 4 inches in diameter. I can't feel a thing in that area. It starts at the incision and stretches almost to my underarm. It's very strange feeling.
    I also have a large area with no feeling high on my inner right thigh where the surgeon took the vein for two grafts. It is about the same size as the area on my chest. I do not know if these areas will come back at all over time, but it's a small price to pay I guess.
    The main problem is that the surgery has done something to my voice and also to my taste and smell. Nothing tastes good anymore. I tried a hamburger and a vegetable burger and I can't taste any difference at all. They have no real taste to me anymore. I had some pizza tonight and couldn't taste it. The only things that taste right are fruits. Apples, pears, pineapple, grapes and oranges taste as they should and are very good, but that's about all. I hope that my sense of smell and taste come back, but it's already been three weeks, I just don't know.
    As for my voice, Kim tells me that I now sound like Clint Eastwood in the "Dirty Harry" movies. It's sort of a raspy-ness in my throat that won't go away. Again, I don't know if it is permanent or not. I don't mind the change in my voice or the numb spots but I do hope I can enjoy food again someday. Right now I don't even really get hungry and need to force myself to eat.
    I will continue to add side effects as I find out more so anyone getting ready for this surgery knows what they can expect. I hope nobody in the family ever needs the surgery besides me. But the Parrotts have been pretty good about passing on the genes for heart problems. I am glad that I am the one with the most trouble right now instead of this happening to Dad or my sister Tracy, or anyone else in the family. I can handle it but I don't want anyone else to go through it.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've experienced the loss of smell and taste senses a couple of times, also, following gall bladder surgery and a bacterial digestive tract infection several years ago. I didn't actually LOSE them, but my sense of smell became very perverted. Nothing smelled as it should, and when smell is out of whack, taste is, too. It was a good while coming back, but eventually they returned to a pretty good semblance of normal.Or maybe I just adapted over time. Knowing what pizza SHOULD smell like, maybe my perverted sense of that delicacy was gradually converted over to fit my experience with it. At any rate, I believe things smell and taste okay now.

A while back after I had knee surgery, nothing tasted good except for canned tomatoes and Popsicles! I practically lived on those two for a month or more!

The numbness is something that must go with a lot of surgeries. A big part of my leg is numb following the knee work, and the surgeon told me, AFTER my telling him about it, "Oh, yeah -- It'll always be like that". No one ever mentioned it before, though.